Saturday, March 8, 2014

Happy 9th Birthday, Guillame!

Gui requested a Pokemon themed birthday party this year. We kind of flubbed on the invitations, getting them out only a week before the party, and wound up with only one guest, because Gui's birthday coincides with March Break every year, so most of his friends are away on vacation. 

That said, we (and Gui's guest) had fun with the theme. I'm pretty proud of it, considering I know next to nothing about Pokemon!

Decorations.

I doodled up the Pikachu pokemon balloon on a whim, and then the kids were requesting others as fast as I could Google images to draw. We wound up with 5 or 6 in all.

This, of course, led to an impromptu game of Balloon Pokemon Battle, in which you try to keep your Pokemon balloon up in the air, while knocking your opponents down when you get the chance.
Pokeballoon fun

Aetheline enjoyed being a 'guest' at Gui's party. 
 Then the kids played stick the tail on the Pikachu. This was a pretty roaring success, and what was really wonderful is that we all agreed that Aetheline won, with Pascal (who had the location almost perfect, but the tail backwards) a close second. The little kids felt pretty great about that, and it was nice to see Gui and his friends being such good sports with Gui's little siblings.

Pascal doing tail reattachment surgery on Pikachu
 Next up was "Gotta Catch Em All" BINGO. There's a great kid's crafts and games site called DLTK, and they have a BINGO game board generator that lets you customize a board with a number of different themes--including, fortunately for me, Pokemon.
Gui won twice in a row, which was a nice ending to the games part of the party.
 Gui was pretty pleased with his gifts. I gave Gui an off-brand e-Reader so he can stop running off with my Kindle.

His buddy gave him a dinosaur mosaic art kit and some Pokemon starter packs. This was the point when we discovered that neither he nor his friend--nor any of their mutual Pokemon-crazy friends, as far as I can tell from asking--have actually played the Pokemon card game. I promised them I would find some rules to print off after the cake was served.
I'm glad the Pokeball is such an easy shape and pattern!
Now that the party is over, the guest departed, the mess (mostly) cleaned up, there's really only one thing left to do...try to wrap my mind around my baby boy turning NINE!